Roof Damage Houston
After a significant storm your roof may sustain some damage. During an inspection your contractor may find that they need to refasten some shingles as they check the entire roof area for other issues such as damaged flashings, ventilation, siding, gutters, etc. Any problems found should be put in writing and presented to you for approval before any work.
Serious Roof Damage Houston
Normally any roof that receives more damage than shows above is an indication of extreme storms, poor installation or material failure and will require much more work than simply replacing or refastening a few shingles. In these cases your contractor can assist you in your dealings with the Insurance Company and Material Manufacturer’s Warranty.
Studies On Shingles
There have been numerous studies done on residential asphalt/fiberglass shingles over the past few decades. These studies have shown the average 30 year shingle will fail (at least in part) in the time frame of 15 to 20 years. The most common reasons for this pre-mature failure:
- Poor Installation: With poor workmanship issues you can do very little in most cases.
- Improper Roofing Ventilation: Roofing ventilation situations are correctable and normally at only hundreds of dollars, not thousands.
- Lack of Routine Maintenance after Installation: Routine common maintenance in some cases can be done by the homeowner themselves or a local handyman.
Recommended Schedule For Routine/Common Maintenance:
- Twice per year in a wooded area.
- Twice per year in a high wind area.
- Once per year if neither 1 nor 2 apply to your area.
- Maintain Roof HVAC Equipment
If your roof was installed properly, you can get away with less frequent maintenance, but your roof and gutters still collect debris throughout the year. This means routine maintenance is a very important part in achieving the full life-span of your roofing system. The company that installed your roof may offer a free annual roof inspection. If they do not find a contractor that does. Having your roof inspected and maintained on an annual basis will go a long way in sustaining the long life of your roofing system.